Runners – a half marathon question

Recent Forums Chit chat Runners – a half marathon question

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • October 6, 2017 at 2:27 pm #265

Looking for realistic advice, although I think I know what people will say! I did a half marathon last autumn and my training did not go to plan due to a neck injury, so I did about 4 x 5km runs, one 9 mile walk/run and one 14 mile walk/run. Really bad prep but I jogged around my first ever half marathon in 2hrs 39mins without stopping to walk and although it was incredibly slow I really enjoyed it and had enough in the tank at the end for a rather impressive sprint finish, if I do say so myself!

This spring I entered a half marathon for October, thinking it would be a another good goal and I would have plenty of time to prepare (I am strong but not CV fit!). However, yet again my training has been an issue, but worse than last year. I have battled an abdominal injury (finally diagnosed as nerve damage in my abdominal wall) and my neck injury has also flared up again – possibly disc and spinal fluid flow issue, basically instability in my cervical spine. I have had this for two years now but it has flared up having been quite ok for a while. So my training has consisted of 1x 5km run a month ago and a few 10min jogs!

Should I withdraw? Or would you go anyway and accept having to walk?

Its the Royal Parks in London and looks to be a fantastic experience in terms of numbers, setting and the crowd. I know that I will be really disappointed in my time as I will be slower than last time, and I worry that the pressure in my head and neck will be miserable (without a diagnosis I can’t even strap/tape it to help make it more stable), let alone how much pain my legs and feet will be in, but i’m no quitter and i’ll be even more disappointed in myself if I don’t do it. Part of me thinks its better to do a half marathon and a jog/walk than to sit on the sofa and do nothing.

i have always been mega fit but years of serious injuries have really taken their toll on my confidence and my body image so its hard thinking I maybe can’t do something. Im climbing Scafell Pike this weekend so that might help me work out how my neck (and lungs!) can cope under stress.

• October 6, 2017 at 2:27 pm #266

To be frank I would probably withdraw as you will run the risk of really hurting yourself. If you were healed from your injuries I would be more inclined to say go and have a jog but a half marathon will not be fun for an already problematic neck.

• October 6, 2017 at 2:28 pm #267

i’d withdraw too. not worth annoying an existing injury. Have you chatted to a physio about level of work you should be doing? With your injuries I would imagine runnign would be very jarring and could be making things work.

• October 6, 2017 at 2:28 pm #268

I hate feeling like I’m quitting. I have a chiropractors appointment tomorrow and will discuss it with him, he’s the only person who takes a real interest but doesn’t seem to be able to help. The existing injury is annoying me at the moment, two years is far too long to put exercise on hold and so I’m getting depressed and frustrated. But I do fear you may both be right and that the sensible thing to do would be to withdraw. Even riding makes me feel sick, although I’m not going to give that bit up!

• October 6, 2017 at 2:29 pm #269

i know how it feels. i used to do trialthlons and had to give them up due to injury. It’s a very difficult transition if you are someone who is used to pushing and challenging yourself. But at the end of the day, you could do yourself worse damage by being reckless with your body. Being harsh, the prep you are doing is nowhere near enough to be healthy for you to do the run. Regardless of your ego (which is what it is) it isn’t fair to put your body under that pressure without correct prep and strugglng with existing issues. It broke my heart not to be able to be fit and out pushing myself triathloning, but sometimes you just have to accept where you are physically and what is healthy for you and your body.

It shouldn’t be a case of putting exercise on hold, but instead working out what exercises are beneficial to you at this time. You can still push yourself, be fit and face challenges challenges without causing yourself long-term damage. Talking to you physio is a great start as you said, im sure they can work out a programme to keep you focussed and getting healthier

• October 6, 2017 at 2:29 pm #270

Sadly I think the sensible option is to withdraw. Remember a HM isn’t easy at the best of times- I’m in the middle of marathon training and did a half on Sunday, it was hard work and I’ve run up to and over HM distance 3 times in the past month. Can you transfer entry to next year?

• October 6, 2017 at 2:29 pm #271

Just looked into it and it says no transfers. I will just have to suck it up and enter again next year. I know I could make my body get round as I’m so bloody minded but I think I’d end up a mess and likely set back any other training I want to do.

• October 6, 2017 at 2:30 pm #272

yeah thats it exactly, there’s a time to push yourself physically, but theres also times where it will just set you back for no overall advantage and just set you back in the long term.

When i was injured, it really annoyed my, but at the same time, it make me take a few steps back and I had to slow down. It gave me time to focus on getting my walk work, position and lateral work better in dressage. That way i was still getting challenged, but not causing damage to my body

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.