UK most obese in Europe

Recent Forums Chit chat UK most obese in Europe

This topic contains 21 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Jessie 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • November 30, 2017 at 11:07 am #340

@luke So I’m not allowed to buy food I want because the company is told not to make it because other people have no self control? Is that what you are suggesting?

If not, how do you propose to fine Mars or Ginsters for the person who eats three when I eat one?

November 30, 2017 at 11:08 am #341

@frogface I don’t see it in that way. The way I see it, is that the food manufacturers are producing foods that are surplus to requirements and are making you and a quarter of the population (NICE Epidimiology Report 2012) unhealthy. That in turn is causing you and that population to have health problems that need medical care which costs the NHS £27.8M (NICE.org.uk CG189). It costs the economy £27B (www.evidence.nice.org.uk) in non-medical intervention, social care, lost days at work and the ones indirectly related e.g. landfill waste disposal for plastic waste from wrappers and non-recyclable packaging that most of this kind of processed food is presented.

The leading cause of obesity is unhealthy diets and a lack of exercise. Whilst I appreciate it’s personal choice to eat pies and biscuits all day everyday, and be obese, I’m not sure why tax-payers should pick up the tab for the consequences when they happen. If, for example, there were restrictions on deadly foods, the cost of healthcare would reduce and there would be more healthy people around to do work and contribute to the economy.

The fine would be imposed like any other deadly substances tax. Cigarettes and alcohol are heavily taxed and death related to ciggies has been overtaken by death related to crap food. I can’t actually see the difference between cigarettes and crap food when it comes to healthcare burden on the economy.

Just another inconvenient truth I’m afraid that no-one wants to admit to. However, the stats cannot go ignored forever.

November 30, 2017 at 11:09 am #342

I do think they should be encouraged produce healthier products where they can.

Along with excessive levels of chemical preservative, sugars, salt, saturated fat etc. I think we are on the right track with what people expect now a days, but got a long way to go.

I’m not taking about sweets, pizzas etc, those are choices people make. But simple things like a pasta sauce being crammed full of sugar, which you would just never use when cooking from scratch. They make things “tastier” with adding sugar, fats and calories. People think they are being healthy making home made (albeit not from base ingredients) but are getting caught out. That’s just one example, there’s loads of things ha similar.

November 30, 2017 at 11:10 am #343

Most people have no idea how many calories they are consuming, and what those calories are made of. Sugar and salt are extremely yummy, added to carbohydrate and its addictive.
    If you go into a supermarket just look at the proportion of the shelves are made up of high calories low nutrition foods, yes you have to make the choice to eat them but the meat, fruit and veg isles do not get the same amount of marketing and marketing increases sales. The boxes are normally yellow and red because the catch the eye. There is every type of crisp because for the maker there is a high profit margin, even with the marketing. How often do you see an ad for fruit or veg.
    Do you know the Pink Lady apple, is a branded marketed apple, apple growers have to pay to use the name, that’s why its become so popular. They wrapped beautifully and have to be perfect, that’s part of the deal.

Cigarettes were not good for people, and even though tax revenue was substantial the government regulated their sale. High sugar high carbohydrates diets are not good for us, for many reasons but Type 2 Diabetes is going not only cost a fortune and cost untold misery.
    My dad died at 55 from heart disease from a lifetime of smoking, it used to be thought good for you, he would now probably die from Type 2 diabetes, because although active my mother was a cake baker and I grew up on bread and potatoes.
    The jury is out on fats, a bit like oil in horse feed they take longer to convert to the sugar the body can use, so although high in calories they take longer to digest and seem to be less addictive.

People cooking at home from basic ingredients is cheap, buying on the go sandwiches, coffee cakes, ready meals, is where all the money is for the shop or supplier, so there is no incentive to push healthy food.

November 30, 2017 at 11:10 am #344

The good thing is, due to intervention from govt, smoking has reduced by 2 million since the ban. In 2008 smoking cost the NHS £5B. 10 years on, the health economy benefits will take more time to quantify but this is an interesting read…http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-40444460

Whilst in 2016 obesity cost the NHS £16B. If obesity is a result of high processed foods full of sugar and salt then, if there were such a campaign to regulate these “foods” then I’m behind it.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by  Katy.
    November 30, 2017 at 11:12 am #346

I’m really not sure it’s that simple TBH – I don’t eat rubbish (well, not often) or large portions, and apart from breakfast and a lunchtime snack I have a modest main meal once a day. And I do 2 hours physical labour at the yard every day, don’t drink and am pretty much always on the go (no idea how I found time to work lol) but the weight will not shift, 11 stone these days as opposed to just over 9 until I got to be middle aged.
    I am retired but so often you see people in the media, slim and sylph like into their ’40s and then it all piles on after 50. So is it body type (as opposed to the Japanese?) or hormones (lack of??) or something else?

November 30, 2017 at 11:13 am #347

I ate all manner of rubbish as a kid. But I was out all day moving around. And out with the dog in the evenings.
    Playing fields are being sold off and competition and the rough and tumble of sports and PE in school is not encouraged.
    Kids stay indoors and play computer games. EVERY sport and hobby is struggling to attract young people.
    Parents are worried about the dangers of RTCs and stranger danger. There are a lot more cars on the roads in fairness.

Almost every child in NL cycles to school. Loads of adults cycle to work. Pedestrians and bikes have right of way.
    If a driver hits a bike their life is pretty much over.
    Every tiny village you drive through, there are people out on pitches doing sports of some description.
    They eat and drink a lot of crap too, but they move a lot more and almost every home, even in really built up areas, has a vegetable patch or a raised bed.

Dunno about France.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.